We all know “the golden rule” of life, but I think perhaps the golden rule of business may be this: Don’t ask another business owner to do something you wouldn’t do yourself. That means:
- Don’t ask someone to discount their services for your client if you wouldn’t discount your services for theirs.
- Don’t ask someone to participate in your event if you wouldn’t take part in something they were planning.
- Don’t ask someone to support your charitable cause if you wouldn’t consider donating to theirs.
- Don’t ask someone to promote your business if you aren’t willing to cross-promote.
- Don’t ask someone to do something for your own benefit (your birthday, your wedding) if you haven’t done something comparable for them.
I don’t think that’s too much to expect. I wish more people felt the same. I know I ranted previously about “takers” in another post, and I suppose I hope this advice is something they’ll be happy to take.